Three mountain ranges surrounding the city of Cusco, the Vilcanota chain Vilcabamba and Urubamba. In the Cordillera Urubamba are indigenous towns of Lares, Quishuarani, Cuncani and others who are Andean peoples descended from the time of the Inka expansion, surrounded by an exceptional geography that made these towns, places rarely visited a few years ago. Trip Duration: 4 days / 3 nights Difficulty Level: Moderate Varia 2800 to 3900 m 6 hours of average hike Departures: Daily Season: April to December Language: Spanish, English (according to customer requirement).
This amazing trek runs beneath the sacred Salkantay mountain (6.271m/20569ft), one of the highest and most stunning in the Peruvian Andes, passing through Quechua communities and lesser-known Inca ruins, to finally reach Aguas Calientes on the third day. The impressive Sacred Inca city of Machupicchu is visited on the last day of the program. This itinerary is an interesting alternative for those not having found spaces on the Inca Trail trek to Machupicchu.Overview
For all trekking lovers who already made alternative arrangements for Machu Picchu, you can book your Salkantay trek returning to Cusco from Santa Teresa on Day 3 instead of going all the way to the site. Daily departures. A visit to stunning Humantay Lake is also included in the itinerary.
This is a challenging trek to Machu Picchu, including some of the most exquisite views as you trek through high mountain passes and down into the high-altitude jungle on your way through the backdoor to Machu Picchu. This tour can be done in 5 days, 4 nights or alternatively 4 days and 3 nights – ask us for details. Best time to trek: April to November – sometimes available during the rainy season (December and March) depending on weather conditions.
DAY 1: CUSCO SORAYPAMPA SALKANTAY PASS CHAULLAY SANTA TERESA
- Pick-up from your hotel very early at 03:00 a.m.
- Transportation in our car from Cusco to Mollepata in 2 hours and a half hours.
- American breakfast very early in the village of Mollepata in “Casa Salkantay”.
- We will continue the journey by car until arriving at Soraypampa for an approximate time of 1 hour.
- We will start the walk from Soraypampa to Wayracmachay in 3 hours.
- Lunch in Wayracmachay. We will continue the walk from Wayracmachay to Chaullay in approximately 5 hours.
- We will continue our trip by car from Chaullay to Santa Teresa in 1 hour approx.
- In Santa Teresa, we will camp where we will have dinner and overnight.
DAY 2: SANTA TERESA HIDROELECTRICA “AGUAS CALIENTES”
- Our early breakfast at 06:00 a.m. approx.
- We will start our walk from Santa Teresa to Hidroelectrica for approximately 2 hours.
- You will continue the hike by railroad from Hidroelectrica to “Aguas Calientes” 3 hours approx.
- Lunch in “Aguas Calientes”.
- Rest in your hotel.
- Walk in the village of “Aguas Calientes” in the afternoon
- Dinner in “Aguas Calientes”. Rest at your hotel to visit the next day the Inca Citadel of Machu Picchu.
DAY 3: “AGUAS CALIENTES” MACHU PICCHU CUSCO
- Breakfast at the hotel at 05:30 a.m. Pick-up from your hotel by the professional guide at 06:30 a.m.
- Afterwards, climb to the Inca Citadel of Machu Picchu by bus for 20 minutes.
- Entrance to the Inca Citadel of Machu Picchu with our professional guide who will take you to the sites of mysterious Inca buildings (Temple of the Sun, Temple of the Three Windows, Intihuatana, Agricultural Terraces and other religious centers) in approximately 2 hours.
- Free time to take photos and tour on your own in the Inca citadel of Machu Picchu.
- Return by bus to the village of “Aguas Calientes” for our lunch.
- Return by train from “Aguas Calientes” to Ollantaytambo in 2 hours.
- Transfer by car from Ollantaytambo to Cusco in 1 hour respectively to your hotels for having some rest.